Kids can have some serious fun with a play table and chair set. Not only can they color, have snack time, and do crafts, many play tables can also be used for Lego and Duplo blocks. With the right play table and chair set, your child can begin to learn independence and enjoy having their own space. Here are a few tips on what to look for in the best toddler table and chair set, and a few reviews to help you start shopping.
Considerations When Choosing a Table and Chairs for Toddlers
Selecting the Right Size – Depending on your child’s age and size, some sets are more appropriate than others. Sets that come with chairs that measure 10 inches off the ground are perfect for kids as young as two years old.
Furniture sets with chairs that measure higher at fourteen or fifteen inches are only a little smaller than some full-sized chairs and can be used by children well into elementary school. This may also be a good height if adults are planning to sit at the table with their kids, but make sure that the set is sturdy and durable enough to support the weight of an adult.
Inside or Outside – You also need to consider where you will be placing the set. Most sets are not suitable for outside use so make sure it is suitable for different weather conditions. Outdoor sets are typically made of metals, plastic, or treated wood that can withstand the elements.
Here You Can Find The Best Toddler Table and Chair Sets
|Little Tikes Bright 'n Bold Table & Chairs, Green/Blue||Plastic||10.44"||Check Price|
|Tot Tutors Kids 2-in-1 Plastic Building Blocks||Plastic||10"||Check Price|
|Tot Tutors Kids Plastic Table and 4 Chairs Set, Vibrant Colors||Plastic||10"||Check Price|
|Bracelet Babies© Children's Folding Table & Folding Chairs Furniture Set||Wood, Metal||12"||Check Price|
|IKEA Children's Kids Table & 2 Chairs Set Furniture||Solid Wood, MDF||11"||Check Price|
|KidKraft Round Table and 2 Chair Set, White/Pink||Solid Wood, MDF, Metal Legs, Fabric||10.25"||Check Price|
|Kidkraft Heart Table and Chair Set||Solid Wood, MDF, Plastic||11.75"||Check Price|
|Tot Tutors TC715 Primary Collection Kids Wood Table||Solid Wood, MDF||10"||Check Price|
|Melissa & Doug Solid Wood Table & Chairs||Solid Wood||11"||Check Price|
|KidKraft Farmhouse Table and Chair Set||Solid Wood||11"||Check Price|
1. Little Tikes Bright ‘n Bold Furniture Set
Made to strict standards of safety , the Little Tikes Bright ‘n Bold Furniture Set is a tough enough set to handle kids when they play. This is both fun and functional kid’s furniture from a well-known name. The table top is seamless and is ideal for playing, making crafts, eating, and all sorts of activities.
The perfect size for toddlers, this table and chair set comes fully assembled and is 10.44 inches high. It includes two chairs that are child-sized and has an easy to clean surface so it is the perfect spot for crafts, building toys, learning activities, and snacks. The Bright ‘n Bold Furniture Set does not come with accessories and has a weight limit of 70 pounds per chair.
- Perfect sized table and chairs for toddlers
- Easy and quick to clean
- Doesn’t take up a lot of room
- Have no weight to them, slide across the floor easily
- The table is not flat, has a bit of a bow to it
2. Tot Tutors Kids 2-in-1 Plastic Activity Table
The Lego compatible 2-in-1 Plastic Activity Table by Tot Tutors comes with a play surface that is perfect for building with Duplo and Lego blocks. The tabletop is removable exposing a construction table where your kids can build with their Legos for hours. It also has a handy storage area in the center where kids can store their blocks when they are done playing.
The table also provides hours of fun with the tabletop on where they can color, do crafts, or eat a snack. Featuring the perfect height for toddlers and preschoolers, the 2-in-1 Plastic Activity Table is the perfect place where kids can learn to be independent and gain a sense of control.
The activity table will also easily complement your existing furniture and works well with the other Tot Tutors like of kid’s furniture. Available in several color options including yellow, blue, green, and red, the Tot Tutors Activity Table is a great addition to your child’s bedroom, playroom, or even your living room.
- Easy to assemble
- Handy area for storing Legos or jars of paint
- The table cover is great to play on
- Made of cheap flimsy plastic
- Not very sturdy, tip over easily
3. Tot Tutors Kids Plastic Furniture SetPerfect for the patio or the living room, the Tot Tutors Kids Plastic Furniture Set is a great place for toddlers to do crafts, play games, or eat lunch. This is a set that has easy assembly set that has components that are snap-together. This is a table and chair set that is really sturdy and good for both girls and boys at least three years and up.
With a molded construction, this is a durable plastic table and chair set that is just the right height for toddlers and preschoolers. With the vibrant colors, this set is perfect for rooms with a kid-friendly décor and helps to give kids an opportunity to learn independence and a sense of control. Available in green, yellow, orange, purple, and blue, this plastic table and chair set is a great addition for a growing family.
- Great set to grow with your family
- Easy to clean and very sturdy
- Great colors for a playroom
- Pretty lightweight so it moves easily
- Kids can fall when the chairs move
4. Folding Table & Chairs by Bracelet Babies
Featuring folding legs and four children sized folding chairs, the Children’s Folding Table & Folding Chairs Furniture Set by Bracelet Babies sits about a foot off of the ground. It includes safety locks that work with a push button feature that stops small children from getting their fingers pinched and from unfolding and folding the chairs themselves.
The Bracelet Babies Furniture Set is easy to store chair and stables that are portable and have rubber caps on the leg bottoms to prevent scratches on your floor. Available in green, blue, yellow, and red, this is a durable, sturdy, and fun furniture set for kids that include padded chairs.
- Lightweight and portable
- Kids aren’t able to fold up the chairs
- Well-made and easy to store
- Pretty expensive for the quality
- Kid’s fingers can get caught in the slots in the back of the chairs
5. IKEA Table and Chairs Set
Featuring another well-known name in the furniture business, IKEA has created an economical, efficient, and sturdy children’s table and chairs set. Easy to assemble, this is a simple but sturdy set that has joints that are secured with screws, so you won’t have a problem when moving this set around.
Included in the set are two chairs and a rectangular table. The softwood chairs stand eleven inches high while the table stands at 17 3/4 inches and is made of fiberboard, acrylic paint, and foil.
- Sturdy and durable
- Holds up really well, looks brand new long after you buy it
- Easy to personalize and paint if you want
- Smaller than expected for some users
- Not one flat piece for easy cleaning
6. KidKraft Round Table and 2 Chair Set
If you are looking for an aesthetically pleasing and simple design , the KidKraft Round Table and Chair set is perfect for one or two kids. Kids will love eating lunch or working on craft projects at this sturdy table. Made from composite wood materials, this smart design comes with step-by-step instructions.
Standing 17.3 inches high, the KidKraft table is easy to assemble and is secured with screws making it very sturdy. It also comes with plenty of handy storage space with a removable middle piece that is lightweight and easy for a kid to use. At attached net is secured in the middle to catch all the toys they want to push into the center for easy clean up after playtime.
- Adorable little table and chair set
- Great for smaller children so they can get in and out of the chairs on their own
- Incredible simple to assemble
- Not extremely durable
- Smaller than some users expected
7. Kidkraft Heart Table and Chair Set
Equipped with two handy storage bins, the KidKraft Heart Table and Chair Set features heart-shaped holes on the chairs and table. With a sturdy wood construction, this is a great place for kids to sit and color, paint, or make crafts. This is a perfectly sized furniture set for children where they can have fun and show their creativity.
Kids can reach the convenient storage bins on either side of the table providing them with easy access to toys and art supplie s. This is a white table that includes two chairs and comes with finished purple and pink heart cutout details. The KidKraft Heart Table and Chair Set is a fun addition to any playroom, bedroom, or living room.
- Great look and quality
- Adorable table and chairs that are the perfect size
- Sturdy and durable
- The table is not easy to assemble
- Bins are too small
8. Tot Tutors Kids Wood Table and Chairs Set
Perfect for snack time, reading, coloring, and craft time, the Tot Tutors Primary Wood Table and Chair Set is the great gift idea for both girls and boys three years and older. Available in several color options including blue, green, yellow, and red, this table and chair set features sturdy wood construction that is easy to clean and assemble.
The Tot Tutors Table and Chair Set works well in any room including playrooms, bedrooms, and the living room. With its long-lasting durability and solid support, this furniture set is just the right height for toddlers and preschoolers that will help give them a sense of independence and control.
- Cute and comfortable furniture set
- Nice quality set that is very affordable
- Sturdy and easy to clean
- Assembly takes a little time
- Wood may warp after a few months
9. Melissa & Doug Solid Wood Table and Chair Set
This three-piece furniture set from Melissa & Doug is the perfect place for kids to have fun and be creative. This is set is easy to assemble and features solid wood construction that makes it sturdy and durable. You can also purchase an additional two chairs if you need them .
This is a versatile furniture set that lets you kids play with trains set, puzzles, games, and blocks easily for many hours of fun. It’s also a great place for crafts, painting, coloring, and drawing with endless art and learning possibilities. These tip-resistant chairs are the perfect height for kids between three and eight and the table sits at 20 inches high.
Constructed with a natural, light-colored finish, you can quickly and easily wipe the surface clean of messes, and it will also coordinate well with your décor. The chairs are strong and durable enough to hold adults as well, so get ready for many tea parties or lunchtime fun with your little ones.
- Nice quality children’s furniture set
- Easy to follow instruction, assembly was simple
- Sturdy and easy to clean
- Gets wobbly from screws that become loose
- Too lightweight, kids can move the chairs and table around easily
10. KidKraft Farmhouse Table and Chair Set
Made of solid wood, the KidKraft Farmhouse Table and Chair Set is the perfect size for kids. With sturdy construction, this wood set stands at nineteen inches. This is not a set you have to worry about falling apart.
Available in pecan, espresso, and natural wood, KidKraft Farmhouse Table and Chair Set features solid construction. This is a great place for kids to play games, do their homework, and make crafts. This durable set features a great design and is very functional.
- Solid and sturdy construction
- No worries about the table and chairs falling apart
- Good design and very functional
- Wood damages easily
- Takes a while to put together
Benefits of a Play Table and Chair Set
A play table and chairs can be used for hours of fun by children in several different ways. You won’t be sorry with this investment as your kids will use the table and chairs for quite a few years without tiring of them.
- Low to the ground. Since it is low to the ground, you won’t have to worry if your child falls out of a chair that they will hurt themselves.
- Children can gain independence by doing a puzzle, reading a book, or coloring a picture on their own. The table set is easy for them to access on their own, so they won’t need your help to use it.
- This is also a very versatile piece of furniture where your child can eat, read, color, do crafts, and play with various toys.
- Some of them can be used both outdoors and indoors depending on the materials it is made from which is great for BBQ’s and holidays or for those kids that love to play outdoors.
- Gives them a place of their very own since it is child-sized, no one else can really use it.
- Get them used to structure which will help prepare them for preschool. Getting practice sitting at a table will help them get used to being a successful student once they hit elementary school.
How to Choose the Right Set
- Make sure it is easy to clean since it will be used for messy activities like crafts and snack time. Plastic is usually the easiest to clean but there are always great sponges out there that can remove almost any type of mark or stain.
- Easy to assemble is another important consideration. Make sure to look for something that has a minimal amount of assembly. You can usually find a set with chairs that are already assembled so you only need to put on the table legs.
- Lightweight. If you plan to move the set to different locations, like out onto the patio and then back into the playroom, make sure you choose a lightweight set.
- Sturdy and Safe. On the other hand, you also want something safe and sturdy that doesn’t have chairs that will tip over easily when your child is sitting in it.
Choose furniture made from solid hardwood to prevent threats from materials like MDF. Although MDF is considered safe and commonly used in a wide range of way, formaldehyde is used when making it and a fine dust can be released and inhaled, plus it can irritate your child’s eyes if sanded, scratched, or cut.
- Don’t transition your child before they are ready. Most importantly, you need to make sure your child is able to sit in a regular chair since it can be very easy to tip some of them over or fall out of in comparison to a booster seat or high chair.
Note any safety issues by the Consumer Products Safety Commission or other watchdog groups. Many of these organizations disclose a safety issue before the manufacturer does.
It is common for parents to use a play table and chair for meal and snack times. It is important to consider a few safety concerns including:
Placement – Make sure to consider the area where you want to place the table and chairs keeping in mind the surroundings. You don’t want to place them near a stove, electrical outlets, or a lamp that can be knocked over. Empty corners are the perfect place to put an activity table and chairs since you won’t have to worry about them getting into something they shouldn’t. You also want to make sure that you will be able to see and hear them easily.
Soft Surfaces – It also a good idea to place the table and chairs on top of a carpet. This will help soften their fall in case they fall off the chair. A good indoor/outdoor rug or a small and fluffy rug that will fit under the table will help in case anyone takes a tumble.
Avoid Heaters – To make sure your children’s play area is calming and comfortable, stay away from heaters, heating vents, and radiators that can be stuffy, hot, and possibly dangerous.
Turn Off Electronics – Instead of focusing on electronics like handheld devices, computers, and television, turn them all off so you can make sure to pay attention to your kids and their activities.
Don’t Leave Your Kids Unattended When Eating – For certain activities like playing and coloring, it’s fine to step away for a few minutes. But when your children are eating snacks or a meal, make sure to supervise in the event of choking.
Ground rules – If your children are old enough to play or do various activities at their play table, they are definitely old enough to follow a few ground rules. These rules should include not standing on the table or chairs, clean up messes, and how to color correctly on a piece of paper and not the tabletop.
Cover Outlets – All children are very curious, and it doesn’t take more than a second to stick something in an electrical outlet. Make sure that the table isn’t seated right next to one, and make sure that they are all covered if they are visible.
Easy Access to Materials – Along with the freedom of working and sitting at their own pace comes with the flexibility to be able to access materials when they need more. Keep toys and craft supplies low to the ground in bins that are accessible to your kids to help keep them safe and increase their independence. This will remove the possibility of your child standing on a chair to reach what they want or constantly bugging you for them.
Ways to Enhance Your Furniture
Remember that you can make changes to your children’s furniture and customize it to suit your family’s needs. Not only will they feel completely engaged in the activities that they prefer doing, they will have fun making the furniture their own.
- If your child loves art, you may want to drill some holes into one area of the table so they can store paintbrushes, pencils, or crayons easily. You can mount a box or board underneath the table to keep these items from slipping out. By using a larger drill bit, you can also cut out a larger area that will hold these types of materials.
- If you install a bar along the side of the table you can support a large paper roll that is easy for your little artist to pull paper from that can also help to keep the table clean after a messy art project, meal, or science experiment.
- You can also hang bags that for handy storage of books, toys, or art supplies off the side of the table or the backs of the chairs. If you do use the chairs for storage, keep an eye out for too much weight that can tip the chair over on its back.
- Coat the table with durable contact paper that you can periodically remove when it becomes damaged or dirty. This will allow your child to use the furniture without having to worry about messes or damage and will keep the tabletop protected during craft time, meals, and other messy activities.